What am I responsible for bringing to my acting and what do I leave to inspiration? These questions never end, they are different for every actor on every day and it’s a teacher’s job to help an actor with these questions as they prepare to be on set, on stage or in the audition room. In these classes, actors will learn their strengths and what they need to work on in front of the camera. Points of emphasis will be: seeking out visceral objectives; the belief that an objective is attainable; finding compelling obstacles through both character and in-depth script analysis; and learning to be comfortable being uncomfortable while working in front of the camera through breath and physical awareness on existing film and television scripts.
This is a class for working film and television and theatre actors.
Maximum number of students: 8
All classes will be held by video via Zoom conferencing
* The Master/Advanced LEVEL class is for actors who are working regularly in film and television and theatre or who have studied with John for at least two terms. *
|One session (6 classes)||$350 inc. hst|
|Early-bird rate||$300 inc. hst|
This new offering will allow actors the unique opportunity to shoot a scene outdoors on Tuesday and then 2 days later, talk-back what they shot on Thursday (via Zoom). You will act in 3 scenes over 4 weeks. The extra week will allow for shooting schedule changes due to inclement weather.
For a sample of the outdoor scene work, click here.
This is a class for working film and television and theatre actors. Maximum number of students: 6
- Students must be able to attend a shooting session outdoors on Tuesdays (11am-3pm) each week and a virtual talk-back class on Thursdays via Zoom (1-4pm).
- On Tuesdays each student will act in their assigned scene and will also shoot the other pair’s scene.
- Covid-19 Precaution: John will be assigning scenes that do not require physical intimacy – the partners will be able to maintain 6 feet apart while acting.
Schedule: Tuesdays (shooting from 11am-4pm) and Thursdays Zoom talk-back 1:30-3:30pm
A list of possible shooting locations:
- Patio in front of The Dirt Underneath Actors’ Space (636 Pape).
- Backyard of residence near Dupont/Spadina
- Nordheimer Ravine under Spadina Bridge
- Baldwin steps at Casa Loma
- Christie Pits park (Bloor + Christie)
- Ramsden Park (Avenue + Davenport)
- High Park
- Jimmy Simpson Park
- Evergreen Brickworks
- U of T campus
|One session = 4 weeks||$375 inc. hst|
|Early-bird rate||$325 inc. hst|
Self-Tape Study: Tutorial based Training + Audition Coaching w/ Shaun McComb
The Self Tape Study is an online acting intensive that aims to make the self tape experience a better one.
For more info click here.
|3 sessions||$195 inc. hst|
|4 sessions||$245 inc. hst|
|5 sessions||$305 inc. hst|
“The Voice Within” Voice Study w/ Peter N. Bailey
The Voice Within is a 6 week intensive course that functions as an actors (re)introduction to the rudiments of how the voice works in relation to self-expression. Through voice and text exercises actors will gain a deeper understanding of their instrument and the means of addressing the habits that lock the voice from its full potential. The last three weeks will focus on text work. When actors are able to connect to the entire authenticity of their voice they are able to perform with freedom, passion and intimacy.
This class is for actors of all levels.
While beginners will learn the rudimental principles of body and voice connection, which is essential to the work of an actor, more experienced actors will be able deepen their access to their emotions, as well as tackle vocal impediments that have cropped up in their careers.
Maximum number of students: 10 students
One Session-6 weeks/12 classes
Live Zoom Meeting: Tuesday & Friday 12-2pm
As this will be physical class participants are encouraged to create enough space in which they are able stand up and to lie down comfortably with their arms fully extended
The Course will focus on:
What it means to work from “The Centre”
The difference between useful and useless tension.
The relationship between Breath, Thought, & Impulse
How images can release our imagination and feelings into our voice.
Building Blocks to Stronger Relationships – An Online Coaching + Mindfulness Workshop
w/ Cynthia Chan + Lana Lontos
In this 3 week (6 hour) course you will learn tools and techniques to understand the complex nature of relationships as a system: specifically the relationship of one to oneself, between an intimate partner or friendship or within a group.
Who can benefit from taking this course?
- IF YOU ARE IN A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP OR PARTNERSHIP: this will help deepen your understanding of relationship dynamics.
- IF YOU WORK IN A TEAM/GROUP: this will help deepen your understanding of your group as a system and its dynamics.
- IF YOU ARE AN ACTOR: this will help deepen your understanding of interpersonal dynamics for exploring character + scene study.
Mondays 7:30-9:30pm, beginning May 10, ending May 31 (no class on Victoria Day May 24)
What to Expect:
Each class will have a mindfulness and coaching element to it. There will be individual coaching exercises for students as well as coaching homework assigned for the next week’s session.
All classes will be on Zoom. *This class requires a minimum number of 5 students. *
This workshop can serve as a place of support to anyone that is working through their own relational difficulties or needs support in finding their voice or way.
I had a very short notice for my Kim’s Convenience audition and immediately called John. He challenged me to dig deeper into the scenes and reminded me to slow down and work moment-to-moment. He gave me the confidence to trust my instincts and truly bring myself to the work.