Classes + Coaching
What am I responsible for bringing to my acting and what do I leave to inspiration? These questions never end, they are different for every actor on every day and it’s a teacher’s job to help an actor with these questions as they prepare to be on set, on stage or in the audition room. In these classes, actors will learn their strengths and what they need to work on in front of the camera. Points of emphasis will be: seeking out visceral objectives; the belief that an objective is attainable; finding compelling obstacles through both character and in-depth script analysis; and learning to be comfortable being uncomfortable while working in front of the camera through breath and physical awareness on existing film and television scripts.
This is a class for working film and television and theatre actors.
Maximum number of students: 8
All classes will be held by video via Zoom conferencing
* The Master/Advanced LEVEL class is for actors who are working regularly in film and television and theatre or who have studied with John for at least two terms. *
|One session (6 classes)||$350 inc. hst|
|Early-bird rate||$300 inc. hst|
This new offering will allow actors the unique opportunity to shoot a scene outdoors on Tuesday and then 2 days later, talk-back what they shot on Thursday (via Zoom). You will act in 3 scenes over 4 weeks. The extra week will allow for shooting schedule changes due to inclement weather.
For a sample of the outdoor scene work, click here.
This is a class for working film and television and theatre actors. Maximum number of students: 6
- Students must be able to attend a shooting session outdoors on Tuesdays (11am-3pm) each week and a virtual talk-back class on Thursdays via Zoom (1-4pm).
- On Tuesdays each student will act in their assigned scene and will also shoot the other pair’s scene.
- Covid-19 Precaution: John will be assigning scenes that do not require physical intimacy – the partners will be able to maintain 6 feet apart while acting.
Schedule: Tuesdays (shooting from 11am-4pm) and Thursdays Zoom talk-back 1:30-3:30pm
A list of possible shooting locations:
- Patio in front of The Dirt Underneath Actors’ Space (636 Pape).
- Backyard of residence near Dupont/Spadina
- Nordheimer Ravine under Spadina Bridge
- Baldwin steps at Casa Loma
- Christie Pits park (Bloor + Christie)
- Ramsden Park (Avenue + Davenport)
- High Park
- Jimmy Simpson Park
- Evergreen Brickworks
- U of T campus
|One session = 4 weeks||$375 inc. hst|
|Early-bird rate||$325 inc. hst|
Self-Tape Audition Study w/ Shaun McComb
Self-Tape Auditions is a forum of acting like no other. These week-long sessions break apart the self tape audition process from call to submission to find the most effective approaches, practices and execution for you. The goal of the week long course is for the student to become better at self-directing and to feel more confident during the self-tape audition process.
Beginning January 11th, the Self Tape Study with Shaun McComb resumes with a new structure. Instead of a one week intensive format, the Study’s curriculum and practice will be stretched over two weeks with notes, meetings, classes, and coaching sessions falling on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
|One session (2 weeks)||$140 inc. hst|
I had a very short notice for my Kim’s Convenience audition and immediately called John. He challenged me to dig deeper into the scenes and reminded me to slow down and work moment-to-moment. He gave me the confidence to trust my instincts and truly bring myself to the work.